As a bank account owner, you can find out how to check your BVN using MTN, Glo & Airtel even if you have lost hope of not retrieving it back. Do well to read to the end of this article for clarity and guidance.
What is BVN?
BVN is a Biometric Verification number that is stored in the database of the Central Bank of Nigeria,(CBN).
It is the recent security regulations in line with the Central Bank of Nigeria Act 1958.
In 2013, The CBN governor, Godwin Emefiele, disclosed this at the 11th banker’s retreat in Ogere, Ogun State. The launching of the $50 million BVN project.
And on the 14th of February, 2014. The Central Bank of Nigeria In cooperation with the Banker’s Committee, the Nigerian Interbank Settlement System(NIBSS) launched BVN for every bank account owner.
The launch of the $50 million BVN project aims to enable both the rich and poor to access financial services regardless of location.
The Technology Behind BVN
As a result of the rapid rise of Cyber fraud through the usage of private information in the Banking sector. Biometric technology has lately been deployed to analyze the physical traits of humans.
As an advanced form of genuineness for real-time safety procedures. Therefore, biometric technology is the technology behind BVN in Nigeria as it captures physical traits like fingerprints, facial details, Iris, palm Etc. and saves them in its database.
Biometric technology uses three processes which are:
- Enrollment: It registers your details like your name, address Etc and captures physical traits of you like fingerprints, face, iris, or even palm.
- Storage: It proceeds to store this information it has received from you and translates it into a line of code for thorough interpretation.
- Comparison: Another time you meet the system, it distinguishes your present trait from the one on the database before granting you access.
How long is the BVN number?
The BVN number has 11 digits.
Benefits of BVN
- It has helped to curb fraudulent banking activities.
- Bank accounts of customers have been secure against illegal permits.
- It has helped to reduce long queues in several banking halls.
- It is acceptable as a means of identification across all Nigerian banks.
- BVN helps to fetch out customers that are on the blacklist.
- BVN helps to boost the delivery of banking activities.
- BVN allows customers to be part of future banking.
How to enroll for BVN
- Locate the closest branch of your bank.
- Move to the customer care unit/stand and request the BVN enrollment form.
- Carefully fill the form with your details like name, date of birth, phone no Etc before submission.
- You will be requested to undergo the biometrics process like placing your fingerprints on the biometric scanner with your signature on it before capturing your face.
- You will receive an affirmation slip that will have your ID number on it.
- After your application is verified, your BVN will be activated and sent to you within 24-48 hours via SMS.
How to check your BVN using your phone
After you have received your BVN or perhaps you want to retrieve your BVN after you must have forgotten it.
You can check your BVN with a phone that has a sim card in it.
TOP PICKS FOR YOU:
Each sim card comes from different network providers. To check your BVN with any of these networks, you will have to dial the right code.
How to check your BVN using MTN
- Start by dialing the USSD code *565*0#.
- Almost immediately, your eleven(11) digits will display on your phone.
- Bear in mind that this service is not free because you will be charged #20 for this.
- Kindly write down this code in a safe place for easy access.
How to check your BVN using Glo
- Ensure that you have enough air time on your phone to enable you to complete this process.
- Just dial *565*0# to retrieve your BVN.
- In less than two(2) minutes, your BVN will display on your phone.
How to check your BVN using Airtel
If your network operator is Airtel, follow the steps below:
- Dial the code on your phone *565*0#.
- In a couple of minutes, you will receive a notification on your phone.
- Pen down the BVN in a safe place or save it in your Google drive.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is BVN compulsory for every customer?
Yes, It is compulsory for every customer. Without it, you can not proceed with any banking activity.
2. How can a customer who has forgotten their BVN retrieve it?
Kindly visit the bank you enrolled in for BVN to retrieve it.
I believe this will guide you in checking your BVN using MTN, Glo, and Airtel. If you have any other means, please leave a comment.